Wednesday, May 2, 2007

SPRING FEVER

English Wild Flowers in the Spring

These are harebells, more translucent than shown
here. Dainty but hardy flowers. Grow to about
6 inches . The flower itself is about 1 inch. These
are not the woodland bluebell, but I have heard
them called the Bluebells of Scotland.




My favorite, the wild English Primrose. Grow to
less than 6 inches in height and the flower is about
3/4 inch across. They grew in wild profusion all over
the cliffs at Flamborough when I was a child. A spring
time
occupation was "to go Primrosing". We'd come
home
with fistsful of these delicate, pale yellow flowers.


More to come, if I can concentrate long enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

kaybee said...

I love the primroses -- bring back many wonderful memories for me!