Wednesday, October 17, 2007

FORTY-EIGHT YEARS AGO TODAY.....










North Street Methodist Church, Goole, Yorks. UK

I think we look pretty happy here...and we were... and are!!

I can't believe I'm smiling so much and look so confident. I hated all the attention and would have been happy to just elope. My sister, as bridesmaid, would have been happy enough to sink through the ground -- she was just as shy as I, and like all bridesmaids, she hated her dress. I won't show it here as she would disown me. I had no idea. I just wanted something in a pretty autumnal color. As it was, it was a flowery orange! You just couldn't get the kind of color I wanted back then.

Nor were we excited about getting married in Goole, but my parents had moved there soon after I left home for college. But most of all we were excited about getting married, and were happy that Rev. Tom Meadley was able to conduct the wedding. He was the principal at Cliff College, a place that meant a great deal to both of us

























This is where it should have happened: the Chapel at Cliff College -- and here we are just four months ago only a hundred yards or so from where we first met.

5 comments:

kaybee said...

CONGRATULATIONS - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU BOTH! And thanks so much for not posting the photo of me in my orange dress! Never mind, I was just a moody teenager (praying that none of her school friends would see her!).

I actually remember something about your going-away dress also -- but I won't tell anyone!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oldmanlincoln said...

That is very nice. I just read 48 years. Patty and I have been married just past 52 years. It is very unique over here for people to be married very long at all. Congratulations. Still a lovely couple.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

Congrats!!!
For us it's only 18 (started dating 24 years ago), but I'm looking forward to our 48th. :)

Wanda said...

Very wonderful 48 years...we're on your coat tails...at 46!

Love the wedding picture! You were darling and he was so handsome!