Thursday, July 2, 2009

If You Can't Beat Them...Join Them

Before we went away, I bought quite a large seed cake for the birds, so they wouldn't miss my regular feeding too much.
Of course they didn't touch it. I left it up for 6 weeks in all and tho' the birds perched on it they never attempted to eat anything off it. The Scrub Jay might have done but I haven't seen him around for a while. So, since the squirrels were trying every which way to climb the feeding posts, I decided to put the seed cake down on the ground on the other side of the patio, trying to distract them from the bird feeders. This is the result:


Before....




Two hours later!!

These photos are by courtesy of my husband who lets me sleep late in the mornings (I go to bed late too,) and he knew I would want them for my blog. He is very long suffering with what he calls my menagerie. Not only that, but he brings me a cup of tea every morning to help me wake up. I am truly spoiled.


7 comments:

Wanda said...

What a sweet and thoughful thing for you hubby to do.

The pictures are so cute. He did a good job capturing them for your blog.

Have a great 4th of July weekend.

LOL:Wanda

claude said...

Very cute, Chris !

kaybee said...

Happy July 4th, Chris!

Oh, those critters -- what will they do next!

Jose said...

Those were some hunry squirrels. lol Isn't it funny, mi chica does not blog at all but she is always calling me for photo ops always saying, "I thought you would like this for your blog".

Rune Eide said...

I have never seen such aggressive squirrels, but perhaps the American ones are different from the European ones? No wonder your birds need some protection. The only wild animals that visits us at our summer cottage (where we are now) are a couple of hedgehogs (I don't think they exist in America), and they are only cute.

PS We have had a heatwave (33 degrees) here, but it culminating now.

Carmen said...

Great photos! Your hubby's a keeper! I hope the birds aren't too discouraged and come back. They sound a little spoiled though! =D

Anonymous said...

Yes, the squirrels had a field day, as we say, with those seed cakes.