Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Old Fisherman and one more

This is "The Old Fisherman" we put in our back yard many years ago. We bought it because, (if you haven't already guessed!) I have a great affection for my little village of Flamborough on the East Coast of Yorkshire -- hence the name "Flamblogger" and also the banner photo of the scene at the North Landing. I posted this photo a few days ago. Now below is the painting I did based on the old man with a little flavor of Flamborough in the background. That is the morning sky, because the sun rises over the North Sea.


The style of boat or 'coble' is not exactly accurate but it's good enough for me. The real 'coble' as used today by the fishermen, is on the banner. The fishermen mostly do crab and lobster 'potting' now (no need for the net), or they take the visitors 'round the caves', of which there are many and some are very large. But about a hundred years ago more than 30 cobles were kept at the North Landing from where they fished mainly for herring, and mackerel. Tough work in the cold North Sea.

*****

Our plumeria has finally bloomed. It has four good sturdy branches on it and a lot more buds to come out if the weather behaves.



What a beauty!

9 comments:

Jose said...

Love that painting, all that detail and the colors. Considering that the inspiration piece is monochromatic. The last two images are really clear. Did you take those with your point and shoot camera?

Rune Eide said...

I think you caught the feeling of the fisherman and his work very well. It could have been here.,

Anonymous said...

Your artwork is very good. I like the idea. I wish I had more time and patience to do things like this. I will have a post tomorrow on my Abe Lincoln Blogs that is about some things I did on my television series and also on a handmade book I wrote and illustrated by hand.

Cherdecor said...

You certainly are a good artist! I love the fisherman. I admire anyone who can paint.

kaybee said...

I LOVE your painting of the fisherman, Chris - you did a fantastic job!

I don't think our plumeria is going to flower this year - those flowers are so fragile and beautiful.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I always wondered where you got that name for the blog- now I know! :)

claude said...

You are very talented, Chris. For drawing and for the flowers.
Nice photo of the hummingbird too.

mrsnesbitt said...

Love the painting! We haven't been up to Flamborough for a few weeks, now feeling the urge to go!

Unknown said...

So that is what you called those flowers...My neighbor has about four of these plants.

Your painting is very detail and so very well done.