Thursday, June 10, 2010

Virtual Paint-out Participation

Here is my  Virtual Paint-out  submission for the Month of June.


THE KAWAIAHA'O CHURCH IN HONOLULU  



Kawaiaha'o Church, Honolulu 
Click here for more on this very unique church



Kawaiaha'o, the first Christian Church in Hawaii, was built between 1836 and 1842 in New England style architecture. It is often referred to as the "Westminster Abbey of Hawaii". Fourteen thousand coral slabs, quarried by hand from reefs 10 to 20 feet under water, comprise the main structure. Each slab weighs more than 1000 pounds. Visit their web page and learn about this unique church.  (Quoted from their web page).


I admit I have seen the church from the road just passing in traffic but didn't realize it until I looked up the church's name and information.





What is Virtual Paintout? Bill Guffey hosts this creative and educational blog page.  Each month he chooses a city somewhere in the world and those who participate use Google Maps: Street View to tour the city by virtue of the little Street View man. Find a scene that you would like to paint paint it and -- voila!-- you email it to him and he posts it.  There are a couple of little refinements required in order to be posted, such as size and the Goole Maps' exact location.

Google/Maps like it because it helps everyone become familiar with their Street View component. I like it because it is a painless way of posting a painting and being able to compare my style and media with what others do, in relative anonymity.  Talent is not a stressful element and no medium or style is excluded. It is also a good way to become familiar with a place you have never been before. 

Do visit Bill's blog Virtual Paintout  (click on the link above the painting) and see what I mean.  

This month we are in Hawaii, last month was the Czech Republic, before that the Canary Islands and my first effort was San Francisco. 




7 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Interesting facts on this gorgeous church. Wish I could see it in person!! Imagine! Coral walls!

Gillian Mowbray said...

Nice work, Chris. I like the repetition of the trees and the windows. This must be familiar territory to you? Lovely place. x

Unknown said...

Nicely done, and thank you about telling me about Virtual Paint, I never heard of it before.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Under water 1000 pound slabs hauled out and stacked up. Amazing.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

As one who grew up in Hawaii, this is way cool! I'll have to check out the link. Thanks!

Cherdecor said...

We were there in 2004. You did a great job on your painting. I am glad that you enjoy these virtual paintouts!

Rune Eide said...

This sound s like a good idea - for those who can paint :-) Nice one!

PS Pity about the earthquakes - I hope you manage to escape THE BIG ONE!!