Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mix 'n Match

We had a visit from the hawk the other day. Actually a long visit. I was able to get 15 good shots of him through the den window.  I was sitting at the computer, when I looked up and there he was.  He was there for a good ten minutes and he knew I was there.  I think it was the juvenile from the other adult hawks  who have been visiting.  He has more white fluffy feathers around the tail area.  Anyway I had a hard time deciding which photos to post.  He was posing for me in a most obliging way as if to say "Well which is my good side?  You choose."  I was barely 10 feet away shooting through the window and he didn't seem to mind at all.












The birds we have visiting our yard is one of the delights of this house.  The kitchen and den sliding glass doors look out over the patio and the bird feeding area.  When it's time to feed the birds, they make a great racket around the feeder to remind me. As they are right now.

After feeding the birds:

THE VIRTUAL PAINTOUT:  This month the location chosen was Manhattan.  A challenge for me, since I do better at landscape painting, I think.  Anyway, here is my effort for this month.  I think the building in the background is the United Nations Building.  I didn't realize this until I was almost through.


A view from Manhattan
 For more paintings of Manhattan done by participants in The Virtual Paintout click on this link.




WEDNESDAY'S WORD ON THURSDAY
Jesus said, "Ye shall be witnesses to me...unto the uttermost parts of the earth. " Acts 1:8

Evangelicals take this command very seriously, as we should, but there are some things we should be prepared with before we excitedly go out witnessing.

First the disciples to whom Jesus said this were filled with the Holy Spirit.  That means Christ was in them, directing their words and their footsteps.  We turn people off if we brashly approach those whom God has not prepared to hear His message.
Next we need to be filled with the knowledge of God.  A Christian who has not been adequately taught in the faith and who does not have a good understanding of why Christ came, why He died and what His rising again means, is likely to be written off as over zealous or a bit eccentric if he doesn't really know what he is witnessing to.
In addition we should be mindful of the directive that comes from Peter, that we should be "ready to give an answer to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope that is within you."

"Witnessing" is an important part of our faith but it should be done with wisdom and grace and at the right moment. It should not be an "in your face " moment, but more at the moment of pressure from the Holy Spirit. A wise and knowledgeable Christian as he learns to know Christ, also learns to recognize those moments.


9 comments:

Wanda said...

Good Word Chris. I had to laugh at your comment on my "dearest" blog.

As you refer to you hubby as MOTH, I have come of with my nickname on the blog of "dearest"

Our 6 month Masterlife Bible Study on Discipleship focus on this kind of "natural witnessing" Being ready with your story, being led by the Spirit, and speaking with sensitivity.

Looking forward to seeing some cats from you. I'm still struggling with the prisma colors, but not giving up! You tips did help!

Wanda said...

BTW ;your virtual paintout of Manhattan is wonderful. I just love how you have mastered those prisma colors.

And that Hawk....What we needed him when we were painting birds. You must do him sometime.

sandy said...

You did a great job on the Manhattan scene. Great hawk photos. I can never capture clear pics of them.

snafu said...

Great shots of the hawk, They don't get that close here too shy. Nice cityscape.

kaybee said...

I am so envious of the view you got of your hawk -- and your awesome photos.

Good, wise word on witnessing, too!

Rarelesserspotted said...

Great pictures...

Cassie said...

Hi Chris. Thanks for stopping by and acquainting yourself with me! I am originally from Pennsylvania and never thought I'd want to leave Arizona once there at age 19...well, by early 30's I craved "the seasons" and winter. My husband,bless his heart,has said we retire where I desire,so it'll be up here near the Canadian border. I love snow & have decided I'd rather freeze to death than burn up! (Aren't my Norwegian Cuties talented?!)


Your Coopers Hawk is a beauty. Looks like you already painted his daddy Sept.2nd! The cityscape is good too. I'm in agreement with your witnessing words. When we go out without the Spirit's leading we're on our own...and that ain't good!! Have a great week.

Morning's Minion said...

How remarkable that the hawk posed for so long and so obligingly. Birds have presented the greatest challenge to me as I prowl about with my little camera. [I write that and then remember that for each "click" of the camera when trying to capture the cats I may have one good photo in ten!]
I appreciate your words on witnessing---too often we are armed with "proof texts" and feel we are doing our appointed work by pushing them on someone in a way which lacks any appeal.
I think that in a lesser way we can do that with our political opinions, our thoughts on so many things--argument for its own sake.
Graciousness in speech is a trait to be cultivated.

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful images of that hawk, Chris...how lovely to see it at such close range. x